Special Board of Directors Meeting Draft Minutes
Saturday, December 9, 2017
10:00 AM BIRHC Community Room
Present – Mark Carrington (new Director), Bill Johnson (joined via speakerphone @ 10:30am), Larry Kubic, Diane McDonough, Don Spencer, Maureen Turner, Connie Wojan,
Absent – Denny Cook, Jim Wojan
Guest – Mary Cook
Staff – Donna Kubic, Managing Director; John Martin, DO; Ann Partridge, Service Coordinator/Administrative Asst.
Audience – Kitty McNamara, Alice Belfy, PJ Niehaus, Pam Grassmick, Joseph Moore
- I. Call to Order & Welcome
President Connie Wojan called the meeting to order at 10:00 AM.
- II. Revisions to the Agenda
- III. Review, revisions & approval of the minutes
Motion to approve the minutes of the regular meeting of September 16, 2017 and special meeting of November 3, 2017 as written (Spencer/Kubic) unanimously approved.
- IV. Dr. Martin services update
- A. Martin reports that, he is up to speed and able to handle the provider’s responsibilities at the Health Center independently.
- B. Provided a Quality Assessment example and protocol review for the Board;
- C. Recommended declining offer of once-a-month assistance from family doctor from Kalkaska in the interest of maintaining long-term relationship with Dr. Mann & Dr. Newcomb. Additional discussion regarding Kalkaska Doctor’s offer and needs for future with all advocating maintaining a connection and continuing outreach.
- D. Martin shared his visit to Washington and other Islands investigating best practices and potential models.
- V. Financial and Utilization Reports
- A. Mary Cook reviewed the Cash Distribution Report, Transaction List, and Profit & Loss Statements, indicating required items were forwarded to the Auditor with the exception of the final AR from HSA due to a complication in the transition of billing following Betty’s death. Motion to accept current reports with distribution of updates in January 2018 (Turner/Spencer) unanimously approved.
- B. Motion to Approve Check Register (Kubic/Spencer) unanimously approved.
- C. Consolidate Restricted Funds
- 1. Motion to transfer BIHSC $16.40 to Good Samaritan Fund (Kubic/Turner) unanimously approved.
- 2. Motion to transfer Breast Health $1,680.00 to Good Samaritan Fund (Spencer/Kubic) unanimously approved.
- 3. Motion to rename ‘Maintenance’ Fund to ‘Building Capital Improvement’ Fund to clarify allowable expenditures (Spencer/Turner) unanimously approved.
- VI. Committee Reports
Connie Wojan reviewed the Fall 2017 Newsletter and Annual Appeal distributions. Progress update on fence installation around the generator.
- VII. Operations Report
Motion to transfer monies at 4Front Credit Union into a 4-year CD (C. Wojan/Kubic) unanimously approved.
Discussion regarding Life Pak12 costs. Update and discussion regarding ongoing outreach to potential dental providers, grant funders, equipment dealers, etc.
- VIII. New Business
- A. Motion to allocate $1,200 for distribution of Holiday bonuses to 8 staff members (Spencer/Kubic) unanimously approved.
- B. Postponed
- C. Motion to appoint Mark Carrington to BIRHC Board of Directors (Spencer/C. Wojan) unanimously approved.
- D. Motion to set Regular Board Meetings for 2018 on the following dates: March 10, June 16, September 15, and December 8 (Turner/Spencer) unanimously approved.
- E. Review of Strategic Plan Planned to be updated and distributed to the board upon completion
- F. Committee Assignments
Financial, Resource Development, Recruiting, Quality Improvement, Munson Integration, Dental and Enhanced Communication committees were established and meeting dates discussed. All committees will meet by January 31 and a Board retreat will meet February 10th with all committees reporting on any accomplishments.
- IX. Public Comment
Kitty McNamara thanked the board for all their work on the Strategic Plan.
- X. Motion to Adjourn
Motion to adjourn 2:05 PM (Kubic/McDonough)